Monday, January 10, 2011

It's a New Year, Ready?





Have a good new year. I tried…look I got no pithy resolution. And now I've spent a goodly amount of time trying all week to write something and not getting my 4th quarter accounting done. The more things change, the more they stay the same right? I can't think straight when it's dark and I'm freezing cold. I hate accounting. Do we have to be all perky and full of resolve? About all I can muster this frigid Sunday morning is the flea market. I have good friends there and there's interesting stuff. Plus it's warm and I have the excuse that it's my job, I'll account for it later.


What a good morning, the sun is shining for once. My pal Mark and one of my favorite dealers had three things for me. Here's a guy I want to support, it's a banner morning. I bought this beautiful pony-sized iron casting of a horse's head that should be an easy sale (famous last words). My clientele will have no trouble seeing it on a beautiful base in the drawing room or in the garden. Me? I can't wait to put it in my bed and simulate blood and the Godfather scene, take photos and send it to you.


I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, I think you'll laugh, mostly. I learned from my plumber's brother…another plumber and a stand-up comic (hilarious right?), it's a fine line between funny and scary. I'll push the line towards scary since planning the joke is good therapy and I can lob it hiding behind my laptop. Moving right along, look over here! Isn't this a nice painting? It actually is, good local artist (King Caulkins) from the day (60's) when the hippies were making great art in the Cass Corridor of Detroit. The Detroit Institute of Arts has his work, he's listed and I want my clients to collect real art when they can. It's a good price and already nicely framed. I am thinking a certain someone in Detroit's Mies Van Der Rohe townhouses needs this one.


Last, but not least, there's this other painting. In a way, this is the most important thing I bought. No, it's not signed, just a nice little decorative painting that you can buy for the price of a couple beers and a burger. That's the reality for most of us these days. So here's your opportunity to eat in and feed your spirit. It's original art, a real person actually made it frame and all. I know it sounds all new agey but really, stuff people have put thought, what skill they have, using their own hands into, has a pulse. Can't get that out of a machine…I'm just saying.


Finally, something I can publish, but one more thing about Mark. He plays guitar, really well, started this band Michigan Basement. This is them playing at Goldfish Tea seven blocks from my house last night and I can take Wyatt. Live, free, music = good therapy. So, I guess that's the resolution. Do your best, trust your instincts, be a good friend, get out of your cave.

1 comment:

rafiari said...

Nicely done, my dear. Bring it down when we meet, k? I thought the very same thing. Thanks for the shout out and for keeping my designing interests in the forefront. Fun post!