Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dyeing in Detroit




I know you think I'm going to talk about the automakers. Althought I'm all for salvaging them too, I'm talking about closet salvage i.e. reinvigorating your existing wardrobe with some super yummy dyes that are fun and easy to use. I go through this every spring when I pull out the summer wardrobe. I'm sick of everything, want to change the color of something or it's all faded and looks tired. I hate to shop and it certainly isn't in the budget to chuck it all and buy new, besides I can't bear to throw out some perfectly good clothes! It's become a bit of a family tradition, my mom use to teach art and has been dyeing stuff with kids since I was one. It's one of the things I love to do when I go home or when she comes here. Plus, it's more fun to do it with someone because there's a lot of waiting time while you're stirring and dyeing. Now I'm no expert, I stick with just the natural fabrics (cotton stuff, some linen and silk) but the folks at http://www.dharmatrading.com/ have products for everything and lots of information and tips. It's always experimental, you never know what you're going to get but I like the fact it's a little mottled because I think it gives it a more artsy sophistication. Dharma dyes are more expensive than the old RIT stuff, but lots more colors. You'll need salt and soda ash which I found at the local pool supply store and I used my sister's top loading washing machine. You can do it in a bucket but all that stirring is a bit much for as much stuff as I had to do. I should have photographed these items before I dyed them, but look how beautiful they look on the line! Total cost for one duvet cover, 2 shams, 2 skirts, table cloth, runner and top $20.

No comments: